Egyptian cotton sheets are the best of the best. They’re luxurious, durable and hypoallergenic. But what makes them so special? Why is it worth paying a premium for them? What does “Egyptian” really mean anyway? And why should you invest in Egyptian Cotton bedding this holiday season?
What is an Egyptian Cotton Sheet?
The term “Egyptian cotton” is a little ambiguous. After all, there are dozens of cotton producing countries throughout the world with many different types of cotton–all with their own unique benefits and trade value. So just what makes Egyptian Cotton so special?
There are three things that set Egyptian Cotton apart from its counterparts:
1) The type of cotton.
2) The amount of extra long staple fiber in the threads.
3) The way the thread is woven.
Example of an Egyptian Cotton Sheet
Mayfair Linen 800 Thread Count 100% Egyptian Cotton Sheets are the perfect blend of comfort and luxury. These super soft cotton sheets have been painstakingly crafted from the finest 100% cotton yarns keeping your comfort in mind.
You will experience 5 star indulgence when you sleep on these luxurious sheets! They are also certified standard 100 by OEKO-TEX which means they were made with an environmentally friendly and socially responsible manner.
Benefits of Using Egyptian Cotton Sheeting
1. An Egyptian cotton sheet’s threads are stronger, more durable and finer than other types of cotton. This means they’ll look better longer without pilling or wearing thin.
2. Egyptian cotton is long-staple cotton; meaning it has an extra long fiber inside the thread which makes it softer than regular cotton and resists compression . This also makes the fabric more breathable for a better night’s sleep. These characteristics can be passed on through processing so not all Egyptian fabrics are made equal! That’s why you should invest in high thread count luxury Egyptian bedding because it’ll last longer than regular cottons with fewer washings.
3. Also, some may think that “Egypt” refers to where it was first spun. In fact, the area of origin is a closely guarded secret to protect their market advantage in this luxury product line.
Is Egyptian cotton real cotton?
Yes! However, the label “Egyptian Cotton” is not limited to fabric made of high quality cotton. It could also be low-quality cotton that just happens to grow in Egypt.
Do all Egyptian Cotton Sheets feel heavy?
Not necessarily! A good sheet should be breathable and comfortable to sleep on whether they are lightweight or heavier weight fabrics like this set. Just make sure you’re buying the best quality 100% Egyptian Cotton you can afford (with low thread counts) because higher threads mean lower quality.
Are lower thread-count sheets less comfortable?
No, not necessarily. If you’re curious about what a high quality sheet should feel like, consider buying one with a higher thread count if low thread counts make you uncomfortable (like 500 or less). You can even get luxury 100% Egyptian Cotton sheets at 300 TC! The difference is simply thickness – low thread count means each individual fiber has more space to move around which makes the fabric flimsy and soft for lighter weight bedding while higher threads mean tighter weaves so there’s less give in the fabric which results in a denser sheet.
Is a well-constructed sheet more durable?
Yes! The construction process has a lot to do with the overall quality and durability of your sheet set. Quality materials like Egyptian cotton can be woven together very tightly (with high thread counts) or loosely (with lower threads). Softer and lighter weight cottons are generally made with looser weaves which makes them feel better against the skin but they’re also less durable over time.
What is the highest thread count for Egyptian cotton sheets?
800+ threads per square inch is considered the stitching standard for luxury Egyptian cotton bedding. Anything above 800 is considered more of a marketing number to trick customers into thinking they’re getting something even better than Egyptian Cotton.