Social media has taken over the world. It’s so popular that many people have forgotten what life was like before it existed! With all of this popularity, social media can be intimidating for beginners to navigate. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place! This blog post contains a comprehensive list of common social media terms that will help you get started with your new venture into the digital world.
15 Common Social Media Terms
- Post: Posts refer to anything from statuses about your day-to-day life and thoughts to pictures of what you had for breakfast that morning. Posting is an important part of building up your followers because it’s the only way to get them engaged with your content and keep up with what you’re doing.
- Like: The ‘like’ function is a way for users to interact with content on social media. It can be used as an expression of agreement or simple interest!
- Comment: Comments are a way for users to engage with the content on social media. Comments can be positive, negative or just general feedback!
- Engagement: Engagement on social media is when a user interacts with your content. This can be done by liking, commenting or sharing something you’ve posted.
- Hashtag: A hashtag is simply the use of what’s called a hash symbol (#) before a word in order to categorize it and create an internet trend for that specific topic. It also makes it easy for other users to find your posts when searching with that specific hashtag.
- Retweet: A retweet is a form of social media interaction where you share another user’s tweet on your profile in order to let others know about it and keep the conversation going.
- Reply/Quote Tweet: You can reply or quote tweet someone by adding an RT before their username, making sure not to use too many quotes as this will make it difficult for people who follow both accounts. This function allows you to respond without starting a new thread so followers have access to all conversations from one account they are following.
- Social Media Marketing: Social media marketing is advertising using social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube. It includes things such as creating relevant and engaging content, building an audience and managing social media channels.
- Activity Feed: The activity feed is what you see when on any of these sites where there are recent posts from people or pages that you follow. This includes things like likes and comments that they have made on other peoples’ posts or even replies to yours! You can also use this feature to post statuses for others to see, but know that the more often you do it the less likely followers will be engaged with your content.
- Social Network: Social networks are websites or applications that focus on building connections with other people and sharing information like photos, videos and messages in order to communicate.
- Share: You can share content on social media by either following someone’s updates or by liking/retweeting their posts. This is a great way to keep up with users that you’ve been introduced to and want more information about without having the added commitment of being friends!
- Follower: A follower is someone who follows your profile. You can follow other users as well and keep up with what they post. A follower often interacts with your content, so it’s important to have followers who are interested in the topics you’re posting about!
- Follow: This function allows users to subscribe to another user’s updates without having them following each other back on their own profiles. It is a great way for someone who is looking to be introduced to a new person or page and may not want the commitment of following them back.
- Unfollow: Unfollowing someone on social media means that you no longer follow their profile so they cannot see your updates. It’s important for users who are being harassed or those who feel like they’re just wasting time following others.