Lapidary is the art of cutting, grinding, and polishing stones. This may sound like a very esoteric occupation, but it has been practiced for thousands of years by many cultures all over the world. In fact, lapidary techniques were used to create some of the most famous pieces in history including King Tut’s funerary mask and the Taj Mahal.
And if you have ever worn a ring or necklace that was made from a semi-precious stone such as turquoise or jade then chances are good that someone skilled in the art of lapidary created it for you.
What kind of person would enjoy this hobby?
Well if you love working with your hands and creating tangible objects from raw materials then lapidary may be perfect for you. The art of lapidary also requires an artistic element as the stones must be carefully cut and polished so that they appear aesthetically pleasing to both the eye and touch. And lastly, anyone who is fascinated with geology and the many different types of stones available in nature would enjoy learning about this hobby.
Lapidary can be practiced as a purely artistic endeavor or it can be used to create jewelry and other items that will then be sold at craft shows or online auction sites like eBay.
Benefits of lapidary as a hobby
1. Lapidary is a great way to learn about geology and the different types of stones found in nature.
2. It is a very therapeutic hobby that can help relieve stress and tension.
3. Lapidary can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
4. It is a great way to use up leftover pieces of gemstones and crystals.
5. Lapidary is a relatively inexpensive hobby to get into.
6. It can be practiced as a solitary activity or in groups with friends.
7. It is a great way to recycle old jewelry and give it new life.
8. Lapidary can be used to create beautiful pieces of jewelry that can be worn or given as gifts.
9. It is a fun way to learn new skills and experiment with different techniques.
10. It can be a very profitable hobby if you are good at it and have the patience to sell your creations online or at craft shows.
So, if you are looking for a new and interesting hobby that allows you to work with your hands and explore the world of gemstones and crystals, then lapidary may be perfect for you. Just remember that like any other skill, it takes time and practice to become proficient in this art form. So get out there and start cutting those stones!