Collecting toy figures has been a popular hobby for many people, both young and old. The toys that are collected can range from those of the past, such as vintage Barbie dolls or G.I Joe action figures, to more contemporary ones like Pokemon cards or Funko Pops! The key is to find what interests you most and then start collecting accordingly. With these easy steps and helpful hints, this article will show how anyone can start an exciting new collection of their own!
Why Do You Want to Collect Action Figures?
There are lots of reasons why one would want to start a collection of action figures. Maybe you’re looking for something new and interesting to fill your spare time with, or maybe it’s an extension of another hobby that you have such as reading comic books or playing video games. Whatever the reason may be, collecting toys is a great way to have fun and show off your personal interests.
One may want to start collecting action figures because they like the idea of having their own toy shelves that are full of surprises, which can be displayed in a study or living room in whichever way they would like
Another reason may be because it’s an extension of another hobby one has such as reading comic books or playing video games. Whatever the reason may be, collecting toys is a great way to have fun and show off your personal interests.
Another reason to collect action figures is because they could be viewed as a type of investment for people who collect them with the intention of reselling them later for more money.
How to Start an Action Figure Collection
Start with What You Know
When you are starting to collect action figures, deciding which ones you want can seem like quite a daunting task! With so many different manufacturers out there vying for your attention in toy stores, comic book shops, and other places that carry them, how can one decide what they’re going to invest their time into? Here are some tips:
- Find brands where you recognize all of the characters.
- Look at past collections by those companies (such as McFarlane or NECA) and see what they have done in the past.
- Look at how you’ve reacted to certain toy lines as a child.
Do Your Research
Once you know what kind of figures you want, it’s time to research them! This is important because sometimes collectors may feel like there is too much information out there for them to handle when starting this hobby. The internet can be an invaluable resource with some key websites that should not be skipped:
- Toy Collector Magazine (TCM): A monthly subscription service that sends subscribers hot toys reviews, customizations tips, and more direct from insider sources around the world.
- Toys R Us website: Has listings of all their merchandise available so customers can see what is new and available for purchase.
- eBay: Buy, sell or trade with collectors from all over the world.
When it comes to research, make sure you’re being thorough by asking questions about how large a figure should be in scale (for example comparing Star Wars figures), identifying whether releases are of “limited” editions such as collectible statues or if they have been mass produced like Funko Pops!, researching which company may release a certain type of toy line that matches your interests, etc. The more information you can gather when starting out on this hobby the better!
Where Do You Start?
Once you know why want to start collecting action figure, researched what you want to collect and where to find them, the next step is starting! Collecting can be a very rewarding hobby but can also become expensive. Here are some tips about budget management when collecting:
- Start with one character at first.
- Figure out if it’s worth buying the original toy or an action figure that has been modified by someone else (such as customizers).
- Keep track of your spending online so you know how much money needs to go towards each collection type.
- Decide whether there are companies that always release products in limited editions which will increase their value over time, like Funko Pops!.
A Few More Tips for Getting Started on Your Collection
If this all sounds a bit too complicated, don’t worry! There are plenty of ways to start your collection without breaking the bank. Collecting a complete set of action figures is not always necessary and there are other things you can collect instead that will still allow you to enjoy this hobby.
- Look for series with limited releases such as statues or models.
- Buy items individually from stores (such as comic book shops) rather than buying them in bulk online where prices may be cheaper depending on how much you’re spending per figure.
- Consider starting small by collecting just one type of toy line at first so it’s easier to make decisions about what direction your collection needs to go in next.
If you’re not sure where to buy action figures, some options are:
- Comic book shops: These stores carry a wide range of action figures and may even have limited edition releases.
- Local toy shops: These stores carry a variety of products such as action figures, board games and more.
- Convention booths: These are usually available at comic book conventions
- Toys R Us website: Action figures can be found here either individually or in bundles, depending on what you want to collect.
- Amazon: Great deals for some collectors who are looking at collecting items that are more popular with the average person such as My Little Pony or Disney.
- eBay: A great resource for collectors who want to buy and sell their items with other toy enthusiasts from all over the world.
- Craigslist: This is a good place if you are looking for old toys that may be in excellent condition but make sure to meet in a public place!